[Aaus-list] when was Ukrainian language first called Ukrainian?

Danylenko, Andriy adanylenko at pace.edu
Mon Oct 8 20:43:39 EDT 2012

Hi, the student may wish to consult
Struminskyj, Bohdan in Aspects of the Slavic Language Question, vol. 2; East Slavic.

As for the premodern nomenclature, I can recommend my article:

Studia Slavica Hung. 51/1–2 (2006) 97–121

On the Name(s) of the Prostaja Mova

in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth

\Shevelov, George Y. An important work in Ukrainian Onomastics / the name Ukraine // The Annals of the Ukr. Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1952, II/ 4 (6), 435-43.

Hope it helps.

All best,

AD

Dr. Andriy Danylenko
Associate Professor of Russian and Slavic Linguistics
Department of Modern Languages and Cultures
Pace University
41 Park Row, 11th Floor, Room 1116
New York, NY 10038
tel: (212) 346-1831