[Aaus-list] [Ukrainians For Obama] From the Grapevine: "... leaders of US-Ukrainian organizations to discuss sanctions and other impactful actions to help Ukraine"

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Sat Jan 4 03:58:55 EST 2014

On Fri, 3 Jan 2014, dkolodiy at aol.com wrote:

> The point is that it's not about switching Yanukovych for a
> new President from the opposition. Many protestors feel the
> opposition leaders are have bullied their way onto Maidan
> and are leveraging it for their own publicity, but no one
> is offering a new strategy for what and how they would
> change the system. Hence why there are 2 "Maidan"
> organizations, one created and appointed by the
> politicians, and a real grassroots one. And sure, let's
> break everything down into categories so we can analyze and
> digest it, but the fact of it being an organic movement is
> that there are different people on Maidan with different
> desires and goals.  Ukraine as a whole is trying to shed
> it's Soviet past for some more democractic way of
> organizing itself, but why does it have to fall into some
> western model? The point is that maybe Maidan can come up
> with some other new model that will work in Ukraine.

So we're watching some sort of live experimentation, something like all of
that expiremental communal living in Haight-Ashbury that was documented in
the pages of LIFE magazine during the summers of the mid- to late-1960s,
supposedly ushering a new, yet unkown, way of better life.

The part of Maidan that you describe as being led by politicians sounds an
awful lot like "astroturf" movements where they are made to look like
something like "grassroots" (from below) but are effectively directed from
"above."

The other part, per your description, seems to model itself on the
mechanics of the OWS (Occupy Wall Street) movement, or things like it. OWS
hasn't resulted in any effective political change; it's leaders, some sort
of self-labelled anarachists, refuse to "negotiate" because that would
somehow "compromise" their position, ceding some power to established
opponents.

Signature pieces of legislation such as the Volcker rule of the Dodd-Frank
legislation were given 365 days windows for negotiation and enactment; I
think that they've gone past 1000 days before there has been any sort of
weak, albeit meaningful, enactment.

Similarly, Euromaidan 2013 - grassroots (using your typology), didn't have
and continues not to have the view that there needs to be leadership (or
if there is, the leadership needs to be coordinated) and somewhat clear in
its policy goals. This approach doesn't have much prospects for any sort
of positive, lasting change. It just wants to sit in the limelight like
some hydra-morphing party sucking media attention under some
anti-Yanukovych banner.

Meanwhile, Ukraine's MAJOR fiscal problems (huge current account imbalance
tied to a potential sovereign debt default ) have been deferred a
year or two into the future (possibly past 2015 so that Yanukovych can improve his
chances for the next Presidential election).

> Any why is any display of patriotism in Ukraine labeled
> "nationalistic" which has a negative connotation? In the US
> if someone displays the American flag, sings USA USA, and
> the national anthem, they are not labeled "nationalists",
> but patriots. People here are displaying some enthusiasm
> and pride towards being Ukrainian, I think it's great and
> really important especially for the younger generation to
> have this feeling of pride and identity... it causes them
> to care about the country as a whole, rather then just the
> "tribe" or "city" that they are from, ie Yanuk/Ahemotov
> feel some sense of affinity only towards Donbas.

The comments are Serhiy Kvit's (Kyiv-Mohyla's rector) citation of
Volodymyr Yermolenko's view of Euromaidan.

MP
pyz at brama.com