[Aaus-list] Europe and Eurasia: Remarks at a Ukrainian State Border Guard Service (SBGS) Base in Kyiv (fwd)

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Wed Oct 8 15:10:27 EDT 2014

fyi,

MP
pyz at brama.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 14:07:39 -0500
To: pyz at brama.com
Subject: Europe and Eurasia: Remarks at a Ukrainian State Border Guard Service
     (SBGS) Base in Kyiv

You are subscribed to Europe and Eurasia for U.S. Department of State. This information has recently been updated, and is now available.

Europe and Eurasia: Remarks at a Ukrainian State Border Guard Service (SBGS) Base in Kyiv
10/08/2014 02:35 PM EDT

REMARKS AT A UKRAINIAN STATE BORDER GUARD SERVICE (SBGS) BASE IN KYIV

RemarksVictoria Nuland
Assistant Secretary, Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs
Kyiv, Ukraine
October 8, 2014

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good morning, everyone. Thank you, General Nazarenko, thank you to the Ukrainian State border guards for joining us here today at the main logistics base to see the
U.S.-Ukrainian partnership in action. Thank you Geoff, you are our friend and our colleague in this joint enterprise of United States support for a sovereign, territorially
integral Ukraine. And what a beautiful day we’ve been given to celebrate this partnership together.

As Ambassador Pyatt said, today Ukraine is asserting its independence, securing its international borders, and reaffirming its democratic, united, European choice. And in this
struggle to achieve your objectives, the objectives of the Ukrainian people, that you have struggled so hard for this year, and that some have lost their lives for, it is the
State Border Guards who are on the front line of reestablishing Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.

And as Vice President Biden said when he was here for President Poroshenko’s inaugural, you will not walk this walk alone. The United States will be with you. And today
Ambassador Pyatt and I are proud to fulfill America’s pledge to you to stand with you as partners, friends, compatriots, today to exchange protocols on an agreement that will
allow us to deepen our partnership with the State Border Guards. And today we’ll be providing an additional $10 million in body armor, protective gear for personnel, up-armored
SUVs, patrol vehicles, and thermal vision devices for the border guards.

As Ambassador Pyatt said, we’ve worked together with the State Border Service for more than 10 years, working on nuclear nonproliferation, stopping crime, stopping smuggling,
training your border guards and maritime units. But today this partnership is even more existential. It’s about Ukraine’s survival as a sovereign state, something that is
deeply in the interest of the United States.

In addition, we’ll also be providing $1.4 million for the State Export Control and Border Security services, and $15 million from our Defense Threat Reduction Agency for
scanners, for communications equipment, for patrol vessels, and for vehicles that support the border guards as you do your work on land, on sea, and in the air.

The United States will continue to stand with you as you strengthen your border. I want to take this opportunity on behalf of the American people to thank each and every member
of the Border Guard who serves so bravely for the Ukrainian people and helps them to sleep better at night. We are your partners and we’re proud to be so, and this partnership
will continue. Thank you.

The Office of Website Management, Bureau of Public Affairs, manages this site as a portal for information from the U.S. State Department.External links to other Internet sites
should not be construed as an endorsement of the views or privacy policies contained therein.

Stay connected with the State Department:

State Dept website DipNote Blog Twitter Tumblr RSS Feed Facebook Flickr YouTube Google Plus  Instagram

This service is provided to you at no charge by U.S. Department of State.