[Aaus-list] Vice News DPR documentary

Roman Solchanyk roman at solchanyk.org
Tue Oct 14 15:49:56 EDT 2014

Indeed, probably more could have been done in the socio-economic sphere during the 20+ years of Ukraine's independence.  But is that the main problem?  Does a higher proportion of alcoholics in Kramatorsk as compared to Sambir lead to greater support for separatism?  I think not.  The damage had already been done during decades of Soviet rule.  I remember well how Gorbachev was greeted in Donetsk in 1989 or 1990—e.g., Gorby asks the crowd something about the Ukr. language.  The response?  "I'll speak Ukrainian if it reduces the price of kolbasa."  Everyone thinks this is hugely amusing, has a good laugh.

Where Kyiv (politicians and some "public intellectuals") is clearly at fault is making believe that there is no "ideological" (for lack of a better term) problem in the east and south or outright denying it  (cf. the discussion of "two Ukraines.").  How many times over the years have you heard that all of this separatism business is "shtuchne?"