[Aaus-list] Pres./Disc.: Is Ukrainian democracy anything more than the right to vote…? By M. Nunn, NaUKMA 29.10.14, 14:00

Andreas Umland andreumland at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 08:44:22 EDT 2014

https://www.facebook.com/events/363051010525283/
The Mohyla Academy’s “Kyiv Political Science Club” (https://www.facebook.com/groups/kyiv.political.science.club/) is inviting social scientists, jurists and historians to give narrowly focused public presentations for a graduate seminar named “Contemporary Politics of Central and Eastern Europe,” in English language.
>From late September til early December 2014, each Wednesday at 14:00-16:00, in Auditorium 4-315 of the 4th Building of the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, at vul. Voloska 8/5 in Kyiv's Podil district, first-year Master of Political Science students will assemble to listen to, and discuss, a lecture by an English-speaking scholar. They listen to a presentation, with or without PowerPoint, on a clearly circumscribed topic, within the general field of current European and post-Soviet society, law, politics and history. https://www.facebook.com/events/318623644984270/319205914926043/

The presentation on 29 October 2014 will be by:

Martin Nunn

"Is Ukrainian democracy anything more than the right to vote…?"

Abstract: On the 26th of October 2014 Ukrainians went to vote in their 5th general election since independence, an election that many hope will see Ukraine return to the path of European democracy. I will contest that Ukraine is not a democracy and is far away from being one simply because today it only conforms to 30% of the criteria that define a democratic state.
I will illustrate that the vast majority of voters rely on blind trust in the hope that they will get a better government that will guide the country forwards and I will illustrate why such a Darwinian approach is not in the best interests of the nation
I will present criteria for measuring a democracy and discuss where Ukraine is today, as well as the reality of democratic understanding in Ukraine and what this means for the long term prospects for European democracy in Ukraine.  I will also present a series of options that might create a social platform that is more likely to quickly adopt democratic best practice.
Presentation time with slides: One hour
Language: English

Martin Nunn, MCIPR, MISTD, is an international communications consultant and public relations strategist with over 40 years experience in Europe, the USA, the Middle and Far East.  For the past 28 years he has specialized in the challenging markets of Eastern Europe in the Soviet Union, Russia and for the past 21 years in Ukraine.
His company, Whites Communication was founded in 1994 and is one of the leading public relations companies in Ukraine providing strategy, reputation management and communications services to leading companies including: Avis, Bayer, Boeing, BYuT, European Union, Kyivstar, Motorola, Nestle, News Corporation, Procter & Gamble, Shell and Ukraine International Airlines and government departments.
In 2008 he founded the ‘People First’ democracy foundation with like minded members of the Ukrainian political establishment.  The foundation published a weekly internet based democracy magazine entitled ‘Democracy Watch’ that has in excess of 350,000 readers per week.  In 2012 the Foundation developed the Citizens’ College as an online vehicle for teaching democratic practice
He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations in London, a founding member of the Ukraine Association of Public Relations, a former Chairman of the European Business Association Public Relations Committee, a member of the National Union of Journalists, the course leader on the CIPR advanced certificate and diploma courses in Ukraine, a senior lecturer in public relations practice and corporate social responsibility at a number of Ukrainian Colleges and Universities and a former member of the Foreign Investment Advisory Council of the President of Ukraine working group on issues of the national image.
Please, sign up here: https://www.facebook.com/events/363051010525283/