[Aaus-list] greetings on the 25th anniversary of Ukraine's independence

Chernetsky, Vitaly A vchernetsky at ku.edu
Wed Aug 24 13:18:11 EDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the Board of the American Association for Ukrainian Studies, it is my pleasure to convey our greetings and best wishes to everyone in Ukraine and in the global Ukrainian Studies community on the 25th anniversary of Ukraine's independence.

Here is the statement from President Obama on this occasion: http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/statements/obama-08242016.html

In recent days, there have been many publications recalling those days in 1991 and their legacy. Earlier, Prof. Serhii Plokhii, Director of HURI, argued that Ukraine played the pivotal role in the dissolution of the USSR in his award-winning book _The Last Empire: The Final Days of the Soviet Union_: http://www.huri.harvard.edu/news/news-archives/186-plokhy-last-empire.html

For a personal perspective on August 24, 1991 in Kyiv, may I recommend this interview at Hromadske with our colleague from Canada, Marta Dyczok, who was a correspondent for the Guardian in Ukraine at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cte19XxMNK0

You may also find of interest this feature in Ukraïns'ka Pravda on what several influential experts viewed as the most important accomplishments in Ukraine's cultural/intellectual sphere during these years:

http://life.pravda.com.ua/society/2016/08/24/217060/

Best wishes,

Vitaly Chernetsky
AAUS President

Vitaly Chernetsky
Associate Professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Director, Center for Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies (on leave for the 2016-2017 academic year)
Fellow, Hall Center for the Humanities
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045
tel. (785) 864-2359