[Aaus-list] [MOJO] BIG STORY: Ukraine wins 2016 Eurovision Song Contest.......[ANT/F] Fwd: Ukraine's Jamala wins Eurovision 2016 (VIDEO) [Confounding the Londongrad Press]

Askold Krushelnycky askoldk at gmail.com
Sun May 15 11:02:20 EDT 2016

Great news indeed!

Any bit of good news means a lot for Ukraine at the moment. But it's
wonderful that a Crimean Tatar performer won this year's Eurovision Song
Contest with a ballad about how her people were removed from their homeland
or perished when Moscow brutally deported them in 1944.

Since the Russians invaded Ukraine's Crimean peninsula in 2014, the Tatars
have been persecuted once more by Russian gauleiters terrorizing them,
trying to suppress their identity & not disguising a desire to deport them
again.

It must be a recurring living nightmare for some of the older people who
were deported as kids, allowed to return home by independent Ukraine, & are
again living under occupiers who would like to eliminate them because they
are living proof that Crimea, for the vast majority of its chronicled
history, has not been, as Moscow dissembles, “always Russian”.

Even though, like many others from the West, I tend to view the contest
with a bit of amusement, it is taken a lot more seriously in the
post-commie countries of eastern Europe than in Blighty. Ukraine won the
Eurovision contest once before, in 2004, just prior to the "Orange
Revolution" & winner Ruslana's support gave impetus to mass pro-democracy
demonstrations at that time.

There are big celebrations in Ukraine & for the Crimean Tatars the song has
the sort of huge morale-boosting significance that Brits felt during WW2 (&
even now) listening to Vera Lynn's "There'll always be an England". The
fact that a majority of all Ukrainians chose as their entry a song by a
Crimean Tatar is something Ukraine should be proud of. Independent Ukraine,
unlike the Russian “Federation”, was one of the few areas of the former
USSR untouched by ethnic strife or conflict until Putin invaded in 2014.

The Kremlin was enraged the song was ever allowed to be performed as an
entry. Putin's PR trolls will dissemble that even noticing the Eurovision
result would be beneath the little tsar's dignity & that he was busy
astride his tricycle leading a biker gang or flying with a flock of cranes.
But we know he must be massively pissed-off. And that's also pleasing!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ede842de-1a33-11e6-a7bc-ee846770ec15.html#ixzz48j3cZi1q

Askold Krushelnycky
+1 202 309 5326 (US)
+380 97 448 5597 (Ukraine)