[Aaus-list] crowdfunding appeal from Kyiv Pride

Chernetsky, Vitaly A vchernetsky at ku.edu
Wed May 31 20:55:53 EDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I am posting this on the suggestion from one of our Board members. While this is not strictly speaking an academic matter, many would argue that this is an important manifestation of the process of Ukraine's European integration and support for equality and human rights in the country we study.

Shortly, Kyiv will be hosting a week-long series of events associated with Kyiv Pride (for more information, see http://kyivpride.org/en/our-team/kyivpride-2017/). The organizers are appealing for support through a crowdfunding page. One of the co-organizers of this year's pride festival is Zoryan Kis, a highly respected human rights activist and a prominent participant in the Revolution of Dignity, currently working for Freedom House. The page through which they are raising funds can be found here: https://www.generosity.com/community-fundraising/kyivpride-2017-support-lgbti-rights-in-ukraine--2 . If you have any questions, Mr. Kis's contact information is available on the donation appeal page. If interested, you can also watch this English-language interview with him from a few weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfV1BR6yE2g

Thank you in advance for considering this appeal and for any support you may be willing and able to provide.

Best wishes,

Vitaly Chernetsky

Vitaly Chernetsky
Associate Professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures
Director, Center for Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045
tel. (785) 864-2359
vchernetsky at ku.edu