[Aaus-list] Revolution of values?

Daria Fedewytsch-Dickson dsfd at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Apr 17 00:52:01 EDT 2018

It is quite possible to feel “fraternal” towards the Russian people while condemning their political leaders. Many Ukrainians have inter-ethnic families and Russian colleagues and friends. A similar situation existed in the Former Yugoslavia: inter-ethnic marriages and families. Many people resisted being forced to “hate” Serbs ( or Croats, Bosnians) reserving their anger for political leaders.

There’s something distasteful about questions which fish for attitudes to Russians (as opposed to those about  Russia as a state actor)  Why rejoice whenever the percentage of those who dislike Russians rises? Surely there’s been enough ethnic hatred and inter-ethnic barbarity in Central and Eastern Europe in its history?

Daria Fedewytsch-Dickson